bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Which is less customs duty? Goods from USA that cost £125.00

Customer Question

Which is less customs duty? Goods from USA that cost £125.00 with £40.00 postage or goods that cost £75.00 with £110.00 postage. Do I pay tax on postage?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Customs duty is charged along with VAT on importation, but is not always charged. Goods are released from bond on repayment. Customs duties, and there are literally hundreds of different rates, form part of your cost of sales whilst the VAT can be recovered as an input. Pitney Bowes have the following advice as to the imposition of these taxes and duties:
'Duty and VAT are calculated as a percentage of the value of the imported goods, consisting of the product value and the freight & insurance costs.'
Thus the second example will attract the higher impost.
I do hope that I have been able to shed some light on the importation system for you.
Thank you for your support.