TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

What are the tax implications in an investment

What are the tax implications for cashing in an investment 10 years old, which is currently invested in gilts and fixed interest units, which I am advised will not perform very well in 2016, the initial investment was £40,000 and currently stands at £66,000, we are standard rate taxpayers but are unsure of any tax free investment profits yearly
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if this is a single premium investment bond which has life assurance attached? If so, have you made any withdrawals? If not, can you tell me what form the investment is in please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a personal investment plan, which was set up with 100 identical plans to help manage any withdrawals, the plan also provides life cover and includes loyalty bonus payable for each completed 5 year period the plan is in force. no withdrawals have been made to date
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while som please bear with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The investment is in the form of Gilt and fixed interest units and index-linked Gilt
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. You should referr to HS230 in the case of a UK investment bond and HS321 in the case of an offshore investment bond. If you cashed in the entire bond, you would make a chargeable event gain of £26,000, £13,000 for each of the two beneficial owners if there are indeed two. Each of you would only have a liability to higher rate tax in the case of a UK bond if the top-slice of the gain which is £1,300 (£13,000 / 10 completed policy years) took you into the 40% tax band when added to your other income for the tax year of surrender. The gain on a UK bond is treasted as basic rate tax paid. The tax could be as low as £0 or as high as £2,600 if all the top slice was taxable at 40% (£13,000 / 10 x 20% (40% - 20%) x 10) or £3,250 if all the top-slice was taxable at 45% (£13,000 / 10 x 25% (45% - 20%) x 10). If none of the top-slice took you into the 40% tax band, there would be no tax to pay. If the bond is an offshore bind, then there is no basic rate tax credit and so you will have a liability to tax assuming you have income in excess of the personal allowance. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.