TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

In 1991 when our son was aged 10 he inherited half of a property

In 1991 when our son was aged 10 he inherited half of a property unfortunately it was not held in trust for him as first thought anyway two years later we purchased the other have we have had it as rental property we sold it last year and now have to pay capital gains tax
The bungalow was valued at £49.000 when our son inherited his half and valued £39.000 when we purchased the other half it sold for £135.000 what percentage of the value does our son get for half the property
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Who owned the second half, you or your son?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when my son inherited his half the lady who owned the other half was still alive .We bought the other half in1993 when she passed away and by the way because he was so young his name was never on the title deeds.the only thing we have is a copy of the will with his name on it
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Your son's share will have a base cost of £24,500 which is 50% of £49,000, the value of the property when a 50% share was gifted to him. The base cost of your share will be £19,500 which is 50% of £39,000. The proceeds should be split as to 50% to your son and the other 50% should be split between the other part-owners. I hope this helps but let me have know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience: Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.