bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

If I obtained A BRP TREATMENT IN UK THIS PERMILT

Customer Question

if I obtained A BRP FOR MEDICAL TREATMENT IN UK THIS PERMILT WILL NOT ALLOW ME TO TAKE VAT REFUND WHEN I LEAVE UK?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Medical treatment in the UK is, in general terms, exempt from VAT so any bills for your treatment in the UK should not charge the tax. Therefore there is nothing to reclaim. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I DIDNOT MEAN THE VAT OF TREATMENT I MEANT THE VAT OF MY PURCHASES IN UK DURING MY TREATMET PERIOD?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THE VAT OF MY COMMERCIAL PURCHASES IN UK DURING THE PERIOD OF TREATMENT.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I MEAN THE REFUND OF VAT OF MY COMMERCIAL PURCHASES IN UK. AM I INTITELED TO GET A VAT RFUND ON MY COMMERCIAL PURCHASES IN UK SINCE I HAVE THIS BRP?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PLEASE ANSWER MY RECENT QUESTION. IF YOU ANSWER IT I WILL BE SATISFIED.
Please give me a chance to respond to your follow up question before giving me a negative rating. Rome was not built in a day you know. Keep the invoices and present them to HMRC at you departure airport. Specific goods bought and exported definitely can be the subject of a reclaim. Services used whilst in the UK may also be reclaimable. Here is the advice from VisitLondon.com: http://www.visitlondon.com/traveller-information/essential-information/money/tax-free The Gov UK web site advises that the following: 'You can’t get a VAT refund for:mail order goods, including internet salesgoods you’ve already used in the EU, such as perfumeservice charges, eg hotel billsnew or used carsgoods worth more than £600 exported for business purposesgoods to be exported as freightgoods that need an export licence (except antiques)unmounted gemstonesgold over 125g, 2.75 troy ounces or 10 tolasa boat you plan to sail to a destination outside the EU'Such refunds are not exclusive to BRP visits.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I PRESENT TO THE CUSTOM OFFICER WHEN DEPARTED FRO LONDON ALL INVOICES & GOODS BUT SHE REFUSED TO MAKE THE VAT REFUND ON THE MATERIALS ( ALL PERSONAL STUFF LIKE PERFUMES, BAGS, CLOTHES ETS...)
UNDER THE REASON THAT IAM A RESIDENT IN UK SINCE I HAVE THIS MERDICAL BRP. IS THIS TRUE.?
I don't think so; you are only a temporary resident for the supply of medical treatment. Once that is over you cease to be a resident. I think the Customs Officer was misinformed and you should challenge her decision.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replied by an e mail to bigducontax. please answer my question sent to him by mail.
with respect I have answered your follow up question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you did not answer my question. my question is medical BRP PREVENT ME FROM GETTING VAT REFUND ON MY PURCHASES IN UK WHEN DEPARTED FROM LONDON AFTER A STAY OF 3 WEEKS? DOES THIS BRP CONSIDER ME A RESIDENT IN UK EVEN IT DOES NOT ALLOW ME TO WORK OR DO ANY OTHER ACTIVITY IN UK.
On the contrary I did. I suggested that the Customs Officer at the airport was in error and told you to challenge her decision by appealing to HMRC.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your excellent support.