Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

This question is related to UK PAYE, I am an employee,

This question is related to UK PAYE, I am an employee, and have incurred business expenses in the tax year totaling £5400. The expenses are those which the HMRC consider allowable expenses e.g. subsistence costs whilst traveling for work. All these business expenses were fully reimbursed by the company directly to my bank account, at a later date in the tax year.
My question is, can this be added to my Self-Assessment tax return in the Employment Expenses section? And what is the implication if this is done.
Nick
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts (ex HMRC and now run my own accountancy business) I am afraid you cannot have the claim of these costs twice, the claim from HMRc would be merely to ensure you had no out of pocket expenses - by allowing you to claim expenses incurred in the performance of your duties - but if your employer has fully reimbursed you and has paid these to you without any deduction of tax ( and has not included the payment of these to you on form P11d expenses and benefits) then there is no amount left to claim. let me know if you require any further assistance Thanks Sam