Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My permanent address is in Yorkshire. I work in london 5 days

Customer Question

My permanent address is in Yorkshire. I work in london 5 days a week for an employer and live with extended family. I am a permanent employee. Can i claim expenses on travel?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question Did your employment originate as based in Yorkshire and then relocate to London or did you take the job knowing it was based in London? Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the job knowing it was based in London
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response Then I am sorry to say these expenses would not be allowable as expenses as you took the job knowing that you would need to either commute (I appreciate impractical) or incur costs to be near to work - but these are not incurred through the cost of being at work but to attend work - so are not considered as permissible by HMRC Thanks Sam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am working on a different construction site from the main office for approx. 12 months. (Main office in Camden, site office is in shepherds bush). Am I permitted to request expenses for travel to shepherds bush? I have requested this from employer but been refused. Thanks.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response I have sent you an additional services request as this is over and above your initial question - and as per JUst Answer policy needs to be listed either as a new question or a furtehr payment for additional Q & A time after you have accepted/rated this answer. let me know how you wish to proceed. ThanksSam