Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My client who is domiciled in the UK realised a capital gain

Customer Question

My client who is domiciled in the UK realised a capital gain on the sale of a family property in Sudan during 2014-15 but could not repatriate the proceeds officially under the country's exchange control laws.
He has however been able to convert it in the GBP in the black market and is able to get it across through relatives when they travel to the UK.
What the UK tax position and what are the reliefs available to him on the gain?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question...Please clarify for me ..when you say sale of a family property, was the property your client's main residence before he moved to the UK or family property as in extended family home? If own main residence, how long did your client live in it before moving to the UK?Many thanks