bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a physical disability and I wish to refit my bathroom

Customer Question

I have a physical disability and I wish to refit my bathroom to make it safer to use. I think this means that I am exempt from paying the VAT. How do my bathroom fitters re-claim the VAT that I have not paid?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. In a word they don't, they simply charge VAT at 0% in the first place; it is a zero rated supply. Here is an extract from VAT Notice 701/7 to which you should draw your bathroom fitters attention: 'Do customers get a refund of VAT from HMRC? No. Zero rating works by the supplier not charging VAT' The notice expands the meaning of zero rating later viz: 'You can zero rate the services of providing, extending or adapting a bathroom, washroom or lavatory provided the work is necessary to suit the condition of a disabled person and:in the case of a supply to a disabled person, the building is his or her private residence, a private residence includes outbuildings as well as the home - see paragraph 6.3.2 below' I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Thank you for your support.