How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4191
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My partner owns a company which he stopped training through

Customer Question

Hi my partner owns a company which he stopped training through years ago, he tried to send on the DSO1 firm but they rejected it. He has not earned. Money through this business in years and was not working fur 18 months. They have hand delivered a letter today , and They are saying he now owes £25,066 . They are saying they will take out a taking control of goods enforcement. Can you please advise what to do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Who are 'They?'
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HMRC debt management field force
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I forgot to say hello,
I'm home an line and anxious they will come back , sorry
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry, but this is all a bit vague at present. Why do HMRC say he owes them 25K odd and what for?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They say he owes it for corporation tax and paye , I apologise if I'm vague.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
He does not owe it for Corporation Tax, the company might. but not him personally. Companies and individuals are legally separate persons.
If he was a director of the company then he would have been an employee per se and should have been remunerated through PAYE. He might well owe Income Tax, but PAYE itself is dealt with by the company not him personally.
The first stage is to write back to HMRC denying all liability and asking them to put their own house in order and explain exactly what they mean. At present it has all the hall marks of an HMRC try on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He owns the company it is a limited company. He is the only one who worked for it. As i say he has not worked through it in many years. I'm sure you have dealt with this before.
So your recommendation is to write to HMRC directly , deny liability and ask them to state clearly what they think he owes.
How do we stop the Debt collectors calling to the four again?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Debt collectors, bailiffs and the like have no authority without a Court Order and at this stage no application appears to have been made to any Court. If he is harassed by such people complain to the police immediately particularly if threats of forced entry are made.
I would advise getting a letter out as soon as possible.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you , I will keep this question open if possible for when my partner returns from work. He will have all the relevant information.
Thank you for your time.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
No problem, you can always follow up on this thread as you have been doing.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a letter template that he should follow when writing to them ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
No, just a simple letter will suffice asking for a full breakdown of what HMRC think he owes and why. As I said Corporation Tax is the company's responsibility anyway and not his.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your support.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning
Is it possible to change the contact email to my partners as I will be at work today and he needs to corresponde with you ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
I am on***@******.*** but presently bt mail is down.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Much to my surprise btmail has come up again!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll give him your details much appreciated
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Delighted to have been of assistance. What is happening to btmail I shudder to think!