bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have outstanding corporation and VAT, I applied to have the

Customer Question

I have outstanding corporation and VAT, I applied to have the company struck off the HMRC have denied this action, what action will they likely take the sums are around £20,000
I live in Scotland too, I understand different rules apply,
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
In Scotland a limitation period in respect of taxes of 20 years, for other debts 5 years, applies. Furthermore, repeated reminders do not restart the time periods as they do in England and Wales. In England and Wales there is no such limit.
You personally have no outstanding Corporation Tax (CT) or VAT liabilities against you the company does unless, of course, you have benefitted from a fraudulent preference eg received dividends from funds which were not freely available in the company because of liabilities elsewhere.
Your accountant has given you correct advice to ignore HMRC's sabre rattling. All HMRC can do is apply to the Courts to have the Company struck off the register and distrain on all its goods and chattels, an expensive exercise in financial futility for HMRC where there are no assets to seize.
I do hope that I have helped set your mind at rest; however this will take some time and regrettably some harassment will occur in the interim.
Thank you for your support.