bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Personal tax allowance.,I would like to know if I

Customer Question

Personal tax allowance.Hello,I would like to know if I can transfer my personal tax allowance to my husband.For 2015/2016, I do not have any income, and my husband's tax rate bracket is 45%, and do not have any personal tax allowance.Thank you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.
Yes you can transfer 10% of your personal allowance, GBP 1060, from the 15/16 tax year et seq. Indeed my wife has done it for me! You can find details here:
https://www.gov.uk/married-couples-allowance/further-information
It is, in my experience, a long and laborious process and HMRC singularly failed to advise any changes in tax code numbers. It was only when my pension payer notified me of a change I could verify that a correct new coding had been issued. There is no indication whether this will follow on to the next tax year automatically or you will have to go through the same palaver again!
It will save your husband a tad under 480 quid a year, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Thank you for your support.