TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I just returned 3 days ago after working in the Middle East,

Customer Question

Hi I just returned 3 days ago after working in the Middle East, for 4 1/2 years, I finished work on December 8th, and I am worried that the Uk will tax my earnings can you please advise. Thank you.
Melissa
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** to apply for a job, here.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
You should qualify for split year treatment for the tax year you returned to the UK which means that the tax year of your return to the UK is split in two, the period from 6 April to the day before your return to the UK and the period from the date of your return to the UK to 5 April.If you look at the flowchart (first link below), you should be able to cite one of the Cases 4 to 8 as described in section 5 of RDR3 (second link below) as your qualification for split year treatment and exemption from UK tax for your overseas earnings.http://www.shipleys.com/files/Split-Years-Flowchart---Arrivers.pdfhttps://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/458559/RDR3_govuk_hyperlink__updated_078500.pdfI hope this helsp but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Tony,
Ok, I do currently own a house in Wales, which I have been paying a mortgage on, does this affect anything? Would I still qualify, and if so, does that mean all my income is protected from tax if I qualify for the split year? Thank you Melissa
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
If you have been treated as non-UK resident to date, the house should make no difference. Split year treatment means that the foreign earnings from 6 April to the date of your return won't be taxable in the UK.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm just checking in to find out if you need further advice or clarification.