bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Living at 43

Customer Question

hello my name is Matthew ******** living at 43 ******** ******** ********* ******. Have received a letter addressed to a Margaret ******** who has never lived at this address asking for payment of tax to the scottish government. Have never been to scotland. At this point i have terminal cancer and am not paying tax as a worker being 78 years old. Could you please sort this mess out
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Just Answer is an independent tax advice site and is not connected with HMRC in any way. However, the Scottish Government has to date few tax raising powers, I know I am domiciled in Scotland, save for Land and Buildings Transfer Tax which is the Scottish equivalent of Stamp Duty Land Tax.
This looks suspiciously like a scam so just drop it in the waste paper basket. If any more envelopes arrive mark them 'Refused' and stick them in the nearest pillar box. I has this happen to me some years ago and it got as far as solicitor's letters threatening court action before the other end woke up to the fact that they were on a hiding to nothing.
I do hope that I have shown you a way forward in this matter.
This question has reappeared on my listing and this post is to clear my notification and make a small amendment to my original reply.
Amendment, paragraph 3, line 2: delete 'has,' insert 'had.'