taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

My wife and I hold UK company shares in joint names (e.g. BP).

Customer Question

My wife and I hold UK company shares in joint names (e.g. BP). My wife is a higher rate (40%) tax payer and I pay basic rate tax. Can I declare all the shares held in joint names in my Tax Return or do I have to split them between my wife's tax return and my own?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.As the shares are held in joint names, you are deemed to hold them in equal proportion and declare your share of the dividend in respective tax returns, I'm afraid.You cannot declare all the shares held in joint names under one tax return. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.