bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Working tax credit - On a weekly basis I work as part time

Customer Question

working tax credit - On a weekly basis I work as part time teacher 3 hours a week, I work as a music teacher 4 hours a week and half an hour a week as a choir master, and 25 hours running and maintaining two flats that I rent and the income I declare as income from rental of property.
Can I claim working tax credit? as a teacher I earn £48.00 per week, as a music teacher I earn £50.00 per week before expenses which are about the same as the money I earn and maintaining my flat I do not get a salary. I declare the whole of the income as rental income.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with you question. Although you are 2 hours over the limit for entitlement to tax credit I suspect that the Tax Credit Office (TCO) will look askance at your 25 hours managing your rented property. To be perfectly frank I do not think they will believe it unless you have extensive documentary evidence to support the time spent. You could always apply, of course, but be warned. Here is the full chapter and verse on how to claim Working Tax Credits: https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/how-to-claim I am slightly worried as to the declarations you seem to be making on your self assessment tax return. Whilst the net rental is obviously correct your income as a part time teacher is earned income from employment and should be so declared. Just a small point. Of course it doesn't alter the price of cheese as my old boss was wont to say, but it is better to have it correct or HMRC may worry it like a terrier worries a rat. I do hope that my answer has been of some assistance.