How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Getting rental income from U.K from over 10 years. now

Resolved Question:

Getting rental income from U.K from over 10 years. now the property managment company is asking to fill the NRL1i form. Is it save to fill the form, rental income less than required to pay any tax, Non resident and Non U.K.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloAfter you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time! If you live abroad for 6 months or more per year, you’re classed as a ‘non-resident landlord’ by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). You can get your rent either:in full and pay tax through Self Assessment - if HMRC allows you to do thiswith tax already deducted by your letting agent or tenantIf you want to pay tax on your rental income through Self Assessment and not have tax withheld, fill in form NRL1i and send it back to HMRC.If you do not tax will be withheld from the rent prior to you receiving any.The tax laws changed in the UK recently so if you wish to claim your expenses and not have tax to pay you would complete the form.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please clarify, I am not a U.K citizen or Resident, buy-to-let landlord getting than 800GBP rent, I have not filled any forms 'NRLi' or any other, not in tax bracket from last ten years. If i fill the form now, do you think that i will be asked why i have not done it before.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
r u there
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
No you will most likely not be asked why
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
The nonresident landlord scheme is meant to assist you too. It allows you to receive the income from this UK situs property but claim your expenses so tax is not applied on the full rent.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Are you still there
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Property management company insists that i fill the NRli form if not they will deduct 20%. id it must to fill the form.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
If you do not want them to withhold that tax YES you need to complete the form. This is an HMRC requirement
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
before this i never know about the NRLi and no agent informed me.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
I understand that but you need to decide.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
If you do not complete it and they withhold the tax You can ask for a refund if both:your rental income is lower than your Personal Allowanceyour letting agent (or tenant) already deducted basic rate tax on it
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Your options are complete the NRL1i or wait and ask for a refund later.If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed).I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions