TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I've inherited a flat and paid probate on 250,000 valuation.

I've inherited a flat and paid probate on 250,000 valuation. I've just sold the flat 2 years later for 230,000. Can I claim capital loss on my tax return of 20,000.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhen you report a loss, the amount is deducted from the gains you made in the same tax year.You can carry forward remaining losses to a future tax year. If you have no other gains in the tax year you can carry these forward.You don’t have to report losses straight away - you can claim up to 4 years after the end of the tax year that you disposed of the asset.The loss will not reduce your income unless you have a gain form other property disposed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to confirm, I can treat an inherited flat the same as a purchased flat and claim capital loss, although the capital loss only goes against other property sales. Is that correct?
Jon
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
That is correct
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.