How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15332
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I've inherited a flat and paid probate on 250,000 valuation.

Resolved Question:

I've inherited a flat and paid probate on 250,000 valuation. I've just sold the flat 2 years later for 230,000. Can I claim capital loss on my tax return of 20,000.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhen you report a loss, the amount is deducted from the gains you made in the same tax year.You can carry forward remaining losses to a future tax year. If you have no other gains in the tax year you can carry these forward.You don’t have to report losses straight away - you can claim up to 4 years after the end of the tax year that you disposed of the asset.The loss will not reduce your income unless you have a gain form other property disposed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** to confirm, I can treat an inherited flat the same as a purchased flat and claim capital loss, although the capital loss only goes against other property sales. Is that correct?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
That is correct
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions