Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Madam, not even sure how to word but here goes,

Customer Question

Dear Sir / Madam, not even sure how to word but here goes, - I receive a car allowance of £3000 per annum added to salary and then normal tax / NI apply and I pay tax at 40%.
Question 1) - how much should I receive as a mileage allowance , the company started paying 0.45 pence and have now advised 0.18 pence as I have a car allowance.
Question2) - if the above 0.18 pence is correct can I claim back tax relief on the difference up to 0.45 pence and if so how do I claim.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer (I am ex HMRC and nor rub my own accountancy business) The crucial element here is that the car allowance is paid through your salary and is subjected to tax and National Insurance - therefore is just treated as part of your saalry - which allows you to still be entitled to the amount over and above 18p a mile up to HMRC approved rates which are 45p a mile for the first 10,000 business miles and then 25p a mile thereafter. Please do remember to take into account whether the 18p a mile paid by the employer is just for business miles, or all mileage - as an adjustment will be needed to take this into account. Then you can claim this in one or of ways - if you are self assessment then you claim this on your employment page - if you are not self assessment then you complete P87 - although if the claim is in excess of £2500 then HMRC may well ask you to complete self assessment - but here is the link for form P87 to get you a claim in as a start (if you are not self assessment already) https://public-online.hmrc.gov.uk/lc/content/xfaforms/profiles/forms.html?contentRoot=repository:///Applications/PersonalTax_iForms/1.0/P87&template=P87_en_1.2.3.xdp Do let me know if I can assist further Thanks Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
So let me know if you require any furtehr help with this matter