TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a self employed childcare specialist (nanny, consultant,

I am a self employed childcare specialist (nanny, consultant, maternity nurse).
I am just querying what expenses are allowable for tax. I have been claiming expenses for courses to update my professional knowledge, and various books relating to those courses as well as books relating to childcare. Is this correct?
Also a colleague has told me that I can claim an amount for washing overalls that I wear to work. I am not obliged to wear them by the people I work for, but they are necessary to protect my clothes from bodily fluids and food etc when caring for young babies and children.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIn calculating any taxable profits, HMRC allow as deductions from childminding income expenses which are reasonable in amount and which are directly attributable to childminding. Your overalls would be an allowed expense.Where appropriate, childminders can use the simplified expenses mileage rates. However, if the childminder wishes, the actual cost of car expenses for childminding purposes can be claimed instead.Also allowable - the cost of toys, outings, books, safety equipment, stationary, travel fares, membership fees or subscriptions to your childminding organisation, public liability insurance premiums and the actual cost of telephone use for childminding purposes.HMRC has a course that you can go through online herehttp://www.hmrc.gov.uk/courses/syob2/cm/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou for your response. I am not a childminder, but a maternity nurse, consultant and emergency nanny (eg sleep training, trouble shooting, breastfeeding advise etc)
This hasn't really answered my questions -
1) Are courses to update and improve my skills allowable and the books relating to the course and also to childcare practice?
2) A colleague told me that I can charge up to £1000 a year for washing my overalls at home - this seems a very high amount, other sources say £60 to about £150 per year to wash overalls. What if anything can I claim for washing my overalls?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
So sorry but as a self employed provider of the services you are allowed to claim expenses that are necessary.Washing your overalls at home, a flat rate expenses for cleaning costs have been negotiated for operatives in particular industries. The amount of the flat rate expense deduction is £100 per year from 2008/09 onwards for nurses. I would not recommend over that amount. Base don the service you stated.The books you buy are a cost that is allowed.Where attendance is merely to update expertise etc. which proprietors already possess, the expenditure is normally regarded as revenue expenditure and will be deductible if it satisfies the `wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade' That is the rule for the courses you pay for to update. They would be a deduction as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thankyou. This answers my questions now.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.My goal is to give you excellent service.Your positive rating is thanks enough.