bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

HMRC is chasing me for £10,000 Corporation that they say I

Customer Question

HMRC is chasing me for £10,000 Corporation that they say I have not paid. I have paid it, I paid it last January 2015 and have my bank statement confirming the payment but they have lost the payment in their accounts system. I have received a Final Payment letter and threat of Debt Collectors. I have made numerous telephone calls explaining I have made the payment, I have now written a letter but I feel intimidated, stressed and its making me ill because nobody is taking ownership of the issue.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. A small point, if this is Corporation Tax (CT) which is owing then it is the company's liability, not yours. If HMRC are addressing letters to you personally and not to the company then you should merely advise them of the correct approach which should be to the Directors or the Company Secretary at the Registered Office of the company.
This is definitely a Dad's Army 'Don't Panic' situation. Debt Collectors can be assigned, but they cannot proceed, although, with heavy handed tactics, they will try, without a Court Order. To obtain this the Court will advise you that an action has been commenced. Your bank statement that the sum involved has long been paid would be an absolute defence and HMRC would emerge with egg on their face. You have written to that Department, excellent. That is the right procedure, never speak on the telephone or use any form of verbal communication. There is far too much chance of the official at the other end getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all. With written communication you have a hard copy of what has been discussed.
You may have to stand a string of telephone calls from various firms of debt collectors as the debt is successively sold on. A nuisance, I accept, but just respond by saying you owe nothing; don't elaborate, just deny the position exists. I had months of this, not from HMRC, but another Mickey Mouse organization to which I did not owe money and eventually all the calls ceased.
This sort of approach is commonplace with the organization trying to scare the other party with baseless threats which sound good, but are actually meaningless. With any luck however your letter will bring an end to the whole caper.
I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your reply. It is Corporation Tax and I am the single owner of the Ltd Co.
I sent three letters to ALL HMRC departments yesterday bt recorded delivery, now I shall wait.
The fact that you are a single owner is irrelevant. This is a company debt not your personal one. A company is a separate legal entity from its directors or its shareholders.
Thank you for your support.