How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15915
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am employed on PAYE. I regularly travel first class

Resolved Question:

I am employed on PAYE. I regularly travel first class for work as this allows me to be certain that I will have a seat and to work on the train. This is travelling to sites other than my usual place of work (i.e. it is not commuting to my office). My employer's policy is to meet travel expenses based on standard class only. So I pay the difference personally. Please would you let me know whether or not I can include this on my tax return as a business expense?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. In order to be a tax deductible expense, it has to be incurred "wholly, exclusively and necessarily" in the performance of your duties. HMRC may dispute that the additional expense meets the "w, e and n" criteria but in my opinion you were carrying out duties, I would be inclined to claim the extra cost and be prepared to argue with HMRC if necessary. I hope this helps but let me know if you have nay further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions