How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I have a few questions. One is that my salary has not

Resolved Question:

Hello I have a few questions. One is that my salary has not changed for the past few years and I see on my pay statement from last year that I paid less in taxes than I do this year. Yet this year they changed my tax code and I owe money whereas last year I received 4000 pounds back. Does this make sense?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe most common reasons for a tax code change are if you start or stop getting:benefits from your job that you need to pay tax on, eg a company carexpenses from work that you can reclaim tax forincome that isn’t being taxed (like rental income)State benefits (including the State Pension) that you need to pay tax onYour tax code will also change if you need to pay tax due from previous years through your wages.The PAYE Coding Notice that should have been sent to you tells you what your tax code is and how it’s been worked out. Your employer uses the tax code to work out how much tax to take from payments they make to you.In summary, yes, it makes sense especially if your tax code changed.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. But I paid less in taxes last year AND got money back. This year I paid more in taxes and have to pay money. Seems counterintuitive,no? I am an ex pat and new to the hmrc and it just seems confusing - is my tax code just being changed arbitrarily? Also I never received a notice on change in tax code, I just noticed this on my p60.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Generally it is your employer that advises HMRC of the need to change your tax code.Employees who spend most of their time abroad over a period of a year or more may be able to obtain full UK tax relief on their earnings. You stated you are an ex pat so if you went abroad your UK employer should have advised you to file P85. This would have let HMRC know you were abroad.You can get a refund if you have overpaid. Speaking to your employer first would be good because they can refund if they took out too much.Your tax code would need a specific reason to change.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been in the uk now for four years-should I still be filing a P85, and what is the benefit?
HMRC said my tax code changes because last year it was 0T and they said I didn't have personal allowances so they changed it this year. It's all very confusing as I'm not sure what it should or shouldn't be.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
I see, I was under the impression that you had left the UK (ex pat). The P85 would tell HMRC that you are no longer in UK for tax. Forget that if you have not left the UK.Yes, tax code 0T can be used as a temporary code. It means you don’t get any Personal Allowance you’re entitled to until your tax code is updated.When your tax code gets updated you have personal allowances and that means you are not taxed on all your income. Your tax amount should have gone down for the amount of tax that was taken from your pay.£10,600 is personal allowance and no tax paid on that amount.The adjustments to your pay after the change should have corrected your tax.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions