TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I became non resident in uk 6.4.2015. i sold some shares am

i became non resident in uk 6.4.2015. i sold some shares am i right that i do nt need to declare them in the uk
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloWhile it is true that you have to pay tax on gains you make on residential property in the UK even if you’re non-resident for tax purposes. You don’t pay Capital Gains Tax on other UK assets, eg shares in UK companies, unless you return to the UK within 5 years of leaving.You stayed UK resident if you were abroad less than a full tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). If you sold after you became nonresident you would not have to declare the shares sold. If you sold prior to nonresident status, yes, you have to declare and pat if you had a gain.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oops wrong date it was 6.4.2014 not 2015. Same answer. Although main residence was sold in 14-15 this is not subject to uk tax as before 6 April 2015. (Ppr applies for most then letting relief). You stated uk property does need to be declared. Is that on disposals after 6 April.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Even if you are a non resident, if real property in the UK is sold you must report if sold after 5 April 2015.That is when the rules changed. Nonresidents that sold before that date were not subject to Capital Gains Tax.So yes, disposals after 5 April 2015 must be reported.