taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I have been living out of the UK since 2004, but have

Customer Question

I have been living out of the UK since 2004, but have filed my tax returns on a property owned in
Edinburgh since 1995 and rented out from 2004 until May 2014, then sold January 2015.
This has been my only property in the UK / my question is two parts.
Firstly should I complete my tax return as an expat or UK tax payer as previous - ie could I get tax
exemption from being non domicile?
Secondly if I complete as a UK resident with the online tax submission what fields should I complete to
ensure non overpayment of tax?
Steve
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.. As you have been living outside the UK since 2004, you are non-resident in the UK for tax purposes.Certain income is chargeable to UK tax e.g rental incomeAs a UK national you would be entitled to UK personal allowance as if you were a UK resident. You are completing as a UK taxpayer.You should completeSA100 - main tax returnSA105 - UK property (to report rental income)SA108 - Capital gains summary (to report sale of property that was your main resident in UK)SA109 - Residence, remittance basis etc (to report your residence status) I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Just checking in.
How did things turn out?