How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am retired (72 years old) but work part time, I'm not

Customer Question

Hello I am retired (72 years old) but work part time, I'm not under contract I work as and when required. Last year I Worked in Oman for two two week periods:-
26th June 2015 to 10th July 2015 and
27th July 2015 to 10th August 2015.
For this work I received cheques to a total value of £13,200. I have paid no income tax on this money but wish to declare it. If I can be given an assessment of tax due I can forward a cheque to cover it. There are no expenses to deduct as all expenses were covered by others.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you need to pay tax, you report your foreign income in a Self Assessment tax return. Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad.Use the ‘foreign’ section of the tax return to record your overseas income or gains. HMRC will calculate what you owe based on what you report.The standard Personal Allowance is £10,600, which is the amount of income you don’t have to pay tax on.Basic rate of tax is 20% for individuals that have income from £0 to £31,785.People with the standard Personal Allowance start paying this rate on income over £10,600.From 6 April 2016, you’ll pay the Scottish rate of Income Tax if you live in Scotland. The Scottish rate of Income Tax is 10% but you’ll pay the same overall rate of Income Tax as people in the rest of the UK. This is whether you pay the basic, higher or additional rates.For the income you earned in 2015 the old rate is applied.You have to complete the Self Assessment first. Fill in form SA1 to tell HMRC that you need to send a tax return.I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You viewed but did not respond.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. I have since been in touch with the tax office and the matter is being dealt with.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the update.Best wishes.