TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I took early retirement due to ill health and finished with

Customer Question

i took early retirement due to ill health and finished with the coucil i was working for last May 2015, and now have a small pension from another local authority, will i have to fill in a self assessment tax form this year
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Are you referring to the tax return for the year ended 5 April 2015 or to a potential tax return for the year ending 5 April 2016?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am referring to the tax year ending 5 April 2016
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Leave this with me while I draft my answer.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
As you had a change in circumstances in the current tax year, I would wait until after the end of the current year and then call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your tax position for 2015/16 which they should be able to do without you having to complete a tax return. HMRC should send you a P800 tax calculation which will show if you are overpaid or underpaid.Assuming you have just one pension and no state pension, your current tax code should be 1060L. If it isn't call the tax office and have them review it today.I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.