TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have filled out my Self Assessment online and the HMRC

Customer Question

I have filled out my Self Assessment online and the HMRC website states that I have underpaid tax by £3,400. I have been working for the same company over this period and simply filled out the self assesment with my earnings and tax paid as stated on my P60. Can I appeal this ?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Can you tell me what your gross pay was and the tax deducted as shown on your P60 please. Were you in receipt of any employment benefits in the 2014/15 tax year such as membership of a private medical scheme for example?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gross pay : £117,351
Tax paid : £36.758Yes I think I am part of a company medical scheme
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
As you earned over £100,000 in 2014/15, you have lost at least £8,675 of your personal allowance of £10,000 (£1 for very £2 of income over £100,000) but you were probably given a full tax personal allowance, hence the underpayment. It may be more if the medical benefit wasn't taxed through your payslip. Take a look here for information on adjusted net income:https://www.gov.uk/guidance/adjusted-net-incomeYou won't be able to appeal against the liability as there is nothing to appeal against. You lose some or all of your personal allowance if your income exceeds £100,000 in a tax year. You can pre-empt that by having some or all of the allowance taken away before a new tax year starts if you think you will earn over £100,000 in that year to try to avoid an underpayment.Call the Business Payment Support Service to arrange a payment plan. They won't do that until they see the liability which means you will need to submit the tax return.https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/hm-revenue-customs/contact/business-payment-support-serviceYou should review your current tax code in the light of what I've told you here.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.