How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15301
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am a pilot and last tax year, which I am just filling in

Resolved Question:

I am a pilot and last tax year, which I am just filling in now. I was working exclusively in Spain. I owned a house which my es wife and children lived in. I was in the UK less than 90 days and I had a business which did not make a profit (loss of £27). I have been asked to fill in a a tax return. I paid Spanish tax. Am I liable for UK tax? Is it possible that after I declare my tax return I would have to pay UK tax as well?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloI am going to assume that you competed and sent a P85 to inform HMRC that you were going abroad to work.You may be able to claim non resident and no tax would be due. If you work full-time abroad, you can usually visit the UK for up to 90 days - as long as you work no more than 30 of these days.It is doubtful you would owe tax.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. No I didn't send a P85. I had a UK business and I was a partner. But this made no money. My ex-wife and two children were living in the UK by I had less than 90 days in the country. I am about to complete my assessment to HMRC. Can I file a P85 if I am charged tax? 2015-2016 I became a UK resident and pay tax at source.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
The P85 just informs HMRC that you are leaving the UK and will be abroad working. If you are back in the UK and resident for 2015-2016 then the P85 is not needed.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions