TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am registered disabled and have a blue badge. I am having

I am registered disabled and have a blue badge. I am having two windows replaced and the company that is selling/installing them stated that when I have the VAT invoice I can request a VAT refund on this transaction. I am not a company, I am a pensioner.
Regards,
J Aldous
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe Value-Added Tax (Refund of Tax) (No. 15) Order, 1981, did provide for the refund of VAT on certain aids and appliances for use by disabled persons.Examples of eligible goods are:• Necessary domestic aids (e.g. drinking and eating aids designed solely for the disabled)• Walk-in baths designed for the disabled,• Commode chair, etc.,• Lifting seats and specied chairs designed for the disabled,• Hoists and lifters designed for invalids including stair lifts,• Communication aids designed for those unable to speak.When the supplier does the work for you they are not supposed to charge you the VAT if you give them a statement.You do not have to pay VAT and then reclaim it from the government. But only on allowed purchases.