bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have a serious problem with the VAT office and I would be

Customer Question

I have a serious problem with the VAT office and I would be most grateful if you could just look over our scenario. We have received a Security Notice but either my husband or I have been in business before and therefore we would not be considered a risk as you mentioned in your article i.e., we had another company and then folded and opened in another name to trade again.
What has happened is we run a pub/B&B in the New Forest and I recently had a heart attack this put my husband under a lot of stress as he had to leave the business in the hands of staff while I was ill and of course this also meant that I was out of action as well. I can produce a list of my medication and a report from my doctor if necessary to back this up. He then had one disaster after another, the pump that supplies water to the rooms went down and we had to give quite a few refunds and also had to cancel rooms until we had it fixed. Then in the bar area, our lines to the beers largers etc run from outside the pub and we back onto a large field so we do have rodents. It seems that they ate through the lines and he lost all of his beer and largers. The staff not realising what had happened put more barrels on and they went as well until the problem was discovered, we have had to have a whole new Python set of lines put in which are not cheap.
The crux of the matter is that he did not file the first return, which was August to October 2015 and when he did it was very late. This meant that he was now late in filing the next one. We can get the money together to pay the first one and I was going to ask them if we can pay the second one in instalments whilst paying the next and future ones until it is clear. This is the first time either of us has had to deal with the VAT so we are in the dark. I have until the 11 February to put in an appeal and I am just wonder how to word it and if they will accept our terms without having the notice lodged.
I would be most grateful for any advice you can give albeit short.
Veronica Cannings
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello Victoria, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question.
Unfortunately HMRC tend to the view that as you have already had the money why can you not pay the quarterly VAT? You can always explain your predicament and ask for a repayment schedule you can manage and the Department will accept. As for VAT returns get them in on time. Any errors and omissions can be corrected in the next quarterly return, that is how it is done. I trust you are reclaiming all relevant input tax as this can help your cash flow enormously.
Your next VAT return would appear to be for the quarter ended 31 January 2016. I would advise you to get this in on time ie by 29 February. There will then be no need to appeal as the October 2015 return has been made, albeit late, and the next is not due until the end of this month. The only negotiations needed are those to agree a repayment schedule.
I do hope that I have shown you a way forward which should make life easier for you in these stressful times. By the way I know the New Forest quite well having lived there in the mid 60s on the fringes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your reply. If we pay as much as we can up front and ask for a repayment schedule for the outstanding balance alongside of course keeping payments up to date do you think they will accept this and withdraw the notice or will they still go ahead with the notice. I dont want them to stop us trading otherwise we will just have to close down.
Doing as you suggest is showing willing and not all HMRC staff are ogres! I think you will find the Department receptive particularly if you get the quarter return ended January 2016 in in good time.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you again and of course I will rate you. I am in a state at the moment trying to get this sorted and you have been a great help.
Always remember Lcpl Jones in Dad's Army, 'Don't panic!'
These VAT problems usually come out in the wash Victoria unless you are an absolute hooligan.
Years ago one of my colleagues took up the VAT accounts of a scrap metal dealer. He had never made VAT returns, just paid the sums demanded by HM Customs and Excise. He started working through the dealers accounts making returns slowly and surely. Excise did query the delays, but he pointed out that Rome wasn't built in a day and they would have them all in due course. In the end there was a VAT refund due!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will start drafting this letter asking for a reconsideration and get it to the Investigating Officer as soon as possible and start getting the money together. Thanks again.
Delighted to have been of assistance.
It is grovel time for you, I fear.
bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Thank you for your support.