How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

FATCA - US citizen with dual nationality resident in the UK

Resolved Question:

I am American by birth but have dual nationality (US & UK). I have resided permanently in the UK since age 11 always worked and paid taxes in the UK. I now have to complete forms for my bank to comply with FATCA and have been advised that I need to complete a W9 form if I am a US citizen. I am not sure if I have an SSN as I have never worked in the US and never held any accounts or assets there. I do not have an EIN as I have always worked in the UK. Can I complete a W9 without an SSN and EIN?

Do I need to complete a W9 if I have never worked in the US or earned any income from the US?

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloThe W9 is required for all US citizens that have a foreign account in a country that has agreed to mutual reporting. The US and the UK have this agreement.Without the SSN the bank is required to withhold tax on your interest. This withholding is a US tax. US citizens are taxed on their worldwide income. There are tax reliefs to apply that protect from double taxation but the reporting of worldwide income is a US citizen obligation.You can apply for a SSN and file US taxes every year along with the FATCA compliance for reporting on accounts or you can give up your US citizenship.If you wish to apply for an SSN If you wish to renounce your citizenship now if you apply you can advise that you have applied for the SSN and complete the W9.This will be kept by the bank for their records.When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. Please can you expand on the following:

To clarify my position, I have dual nationality (I hold both US & British passports as my mother was British).

1. I have only ever worked in the UK and never held an account or assets in the US. How would I file US taxes each year if I don't hold any accounts or earn any income from the US and never have done my whole life?

2. How do I report each year if despite the above, this is still necessary?

3. Would I have received an SSN automatically regardless of whether or not I was resident in the US? I'm not sure at what age the US issue SSNs. If this is the case, would I need to find the original number issued rather than apply for a new SSN?

4. I have been in the UK since Age 11 and am now age 49 and have never had to report to the bank about anything to do with my US citizenship. Is the FATCA new legislation?

Thank you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Yes, as a US citizen you are still required to report all your income. You can use the different reliefs allowed for being outside the US and for paying tax in another country but filing tax returns is an obligation as a citizen.You file a US tax return and yes it is required.You have to apply for an SSN.FATCA is not really new anymore. 6 years but for banks and other account providers the reporting and asking for W9 is just now really in progress.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome but do not forget to rate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** happens now if I have never filed a US tax return before because I wasn't aware I had to?

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
As I stated, you either get the SSN and file the past 6 years for US returns or give up your citizenship.You are most welcome.My goal is to give you excellent service.Your positive rating is thanks enough.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I want advice on how to file for the past 6 years but I will ask it as a new question and send to you now.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is a new and more involved question.Rating closes this thread.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions