How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15312
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Following on my question on filing US Tax last 6 years,

Resolved Question:

Following on my question on filing US Tax for the last 6 years, please advise how I go about submitting this based on my circumstances (US citizen resident abroad). I am registered in the UK for paying UK tax.
I will investigate on getting my SSN or applying for a new one.
Please also advise if there are any issues/penalties for not having previously filed returns.
I was not at all aware of any of this!
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
There would not be a penalty as long as you owe no actual tax to the US (you can exclude all earned income or you can use a tax credit ).If you have been paying tax on your accounts (this is the FATCA portion) and can show that you paid that tax in the UK then the US would not penalize you for not reporting.You would file the 1040 Form for each of the past 6 years.The Form 2555 allows you to exclude up to a limit ($92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, $97,600 for 2013, $99,200 for 2014 and $100,800 for 2015) of your earned income (wages or business). The US form 1116 allows you to claim a credit for taxes paid in the UK.You can have someone prepare those forms or you can. They are all available on the IRS.GOV site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your very helpful answer.

-Is it only for the past 6 years that need to be filed (so would it be from 2009 or 2010)?

-I will look for a UK firm to assist with this but I wondered if you are able to recommend any firms if you have any dealings with anyone in the UK?

Thanks again.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You need to complete for 2015 back to 2010.Unfortunately I am not allowed to make recommendations.I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.Rating lets Just Answer know you received an answer which then credits me for my time.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** found you very helpful and knowledgeable. I have more questions regarding other aspects of US tax if I were to set up a UK business but trade in the US in the future so will come back to you on that when I am ready.

Thanks again for your help.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Thank youWhen you visit your question homepage, you’ll see a link to request me again. This link displays and works whether I am online or offline.

Related Tax Questions