TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Continuation on FATCS/US Tax question. I have read that there

Continuation on FATCS/US Tax question.
I have read that there are some options of Voluntary Disclosure to the IRS so I can report to them before they contact me. One option is the Streamlined Filing compliance procedure. Is this appropriate in my case and do I need an SSN before being able to do this? I will be contacting the Federal Benefits Unit tomorrow to find out if I ever had an SSN issued but I think it is unlikely and I will have to apply for a new number which could take a long time...
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
That is what you are going to be doing by filing the 6 years. You are presenting your returns (they just require the past 6 years ) before the IRS is notified by any other agency.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But if I cannot do this until I obtain an SSN which be lengthy in time, is there another way to notify them?

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
I would not advise you to do that. For tax purposes notification is the filing of the required returns.