TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am inquiring about a place that I worked have claimed

Hi I am inquiring about a place that I worked have claimed using a form to say that I used staff accommodation an it's caused me to owe tax I can't remember the name of the form but I did not stay in staff accommodation and I have proof of address history to prove this I spoke to hmrc and they said to approach my old employer but I don't understand it and don't know how to approach them any help would be amazing
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf the accommodation an employer provides isn’t exempt, they must report it to HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). They may have to deduct and pay tax and National Insurance on the accommodation and any related costs, eg Council Tax or upkeep.This includes any accommodation you provide, even if the employee doesn’t actually use it.When you contact the employer request their documentation that shows they provided accommodation to you.Call the ex employer or send them a letter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I first started a condition wasn't available as it was full so I found my own so would this be classed as exempt I don't understand it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Accommodation sorry not condition
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
If that changed and you did not move into the accommodation when it was available that is not exempt.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You need to request the exact dates that it was available to you.They may have charged too much but you must contact the employer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even though I didn't use I still have to pay more tax because of it?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately yes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is there any real point in trying to sort this out in your honest opinion?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Only if the accommodation was very limited in time. In other words if they applied this to an entire year but you were only really offered accommodation for a very short time.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience: International tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry had to pick up my other half thank you so much was very helpful
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You are most welcome.