How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5030
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

If I give my son 100,000 to buy a house does he have to declare

Resolved Question:

If I give my son 100,000 to buy a house does he have to declare it on his tax return
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.The beneficiary of the gift does not report the receipt of it to the tax authorities when filing a tax return.He should retain documents/statements to support the statement that the money was a gift.Also he should make his bank aware of the impending inflow of money to comply with money laundering regulations. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond. and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was very helpful. I am very surprised that it is not mandatory for the recipient to declare the time of gift but presumably this is detected through a knowledge of bank transfers between accounts.
Expert: replied 1 year ago.
I thank you for accepting my answer. best wishes