TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am unemployed .I saw a jobcentre compliance officer last

I am unemployed .I saw a jobcentre compliance officer last week and they told me that the hmrc have found out about abank account which I did not declare and they want me to write to the bank stating how much is in the account or they will stop my benefits .do I have to comply?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. If I were you, I'd ask the jobcentre to show me the communication from HMRC that they referred to and the law behind their demand that you write to HMRC. Otherwise, you only need to respond to HMRC when they write to you directly. As far as the threat to stop your benefits is concerned, I'm no expert on the law around jobseekers allowance and what impact savings has on entitlelment as this is a tax question site not a benefits law question site so I'd have to refer you to the Citizens' Advice Bureau on that. If you are receiving bank interest without deduction of tax, you would only have tax to pay if the sum of that bank interest and the jobseekers allowance you receive exceeded the personal tax allowance which is currently £10,600 for the 2015/16 tax year. If the interest has tax deducted, you may be entitled to a tax repayment of some of the tax deducted, again dependent on the level of your income in any one tax year. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
HMRC only ask for bank statements if they are conducting a tax enquiry. In order to do that, they have to write to you. I'd ask the jobcentre or the CAB for the law supporting the demand to see your bank statements.