TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I was working in Libya between May 2013 and July 2014, 10 weeks

I was working in Libya between May 2013 and July 2014, 10 weeks there and 3 weeks home, home is in Scotland and I am Irish, can you please clarify any UK tax liabilities
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloForeign income is anything from outside England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Residents normally pay UK tax on all their income, whether it’s from the UK or abroad. You’re automatically resident if either:you spent 183 or more days in the UK in the tax yearyour only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax yearAs your home was still in the UK and you returned for the needed days, you were still resident in the UK so tax would be applied. Your wages are taxable in the UK.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,I was out of the country from May 10th 2013 until early July 2014, working in Libya for 10 weeks at a time and returning back to the UK for a 3 weeks break, although my wife and kids stayed in the uk I was renting a property or staying in a hotel in Libya while working there, these were paid for by my employer at the time.
does that change anything for wages or bonus payments that were paid into my uk bank account
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloYour home remained in the Uk where your family stayed and where you returned to for your time off.your only home was in the UK - you must have owned, rented or lived in it for at least 91 days in total - and you spent at least 30 days there in the tax yearYour time spent in the UK was more than the time required.The place you stayed in Libya supplied by your employer was not your home.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the second contract I had in Libya which was a staffie role stated that they paid all my local taxes etc in Libya, would I still be UK liable for them as would that not be a double tax on pay
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
When you are taxed in the other country as well you are allowed a credit in the UK.The UK does have a tax treaty with Libya for Double Tax Relief.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi,One final point... does it make any difference that I am an Irish passport holder and have a residence in Dublin, I don't use it very often but it is in my name.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
If that was your domicile it matters. You don’t pay UK tax on your foreign income or gains if both:they’re less than £2,000 in the tax yearyou don’t bring them into the UK, eg transfer them to a UK bank accountWith your family in the UK and the money in the UK that is not going to make a difference.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well all payments were made into a UK bank account.. sounds like I'm back to square one again
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks, ***** ***** anything that could help me here, any conditions that could assist, like being separated, divorced or any loop hope that I could use to assist me
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
You said you came back to the UK when you were off and the money is in UK bank. I cannot see where you would be allowed to claim differently.