TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a US citizen who has been living in the UK on a tier 2

I am a US citizen who has been living in the UK on a tier 2 dependent VISA for the last year. I didn't work in the UK at all during the year, but did earn money as a free lancer working with US clients. I am planning on filing taxes in the US. Do I also need to file a tax form and pay UK taxes on the money I earned the US?
Thank You!
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou would be taxed in the UK on the income you earned in the UK. Your income is reportable to the US but you will most likely be allowed to use the form 2555 and exclude the self employment.Self Assessment is a system HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) uses to collect Income Tax. The tax year is from 6 April to 5 April the following year.You’ll need to send a tax return if, in the last tax year you were self-employed. If you did this work in the UK you will need to report it. It is not who paid you but where you were when you performed the work.Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!