TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

Can I choose to pay tax in UK on my UK pension and annuity

Customer Question

Can I choose to pay tax in UK on my UK pension and annuity if I live in Spain?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have paid now, do I just wait for the answer on this page?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm afraid that you cannot pick where you pay tax. If you are a resident of Spain, you are liable to Spanish tax on your UK pensions unless they are derived from government service jobs as listed here. Articles 17 and 18 of the UK/Spain tax treaty here deal with pensions. Spanish tax residency is defined here. I hope this clarifies your position but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
I can only call a landline in Spain. Calls to landlines from the UK are 60p per minute and 90p per minute to mobiles. There should be enough information in my written answer for you not to need a phone call, however.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi.I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.