bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We are liable to pay tax year but HMRC has added days

Customer Question

We are liable to pay tax for 1 year but HMRC has added days onto three more years so we are being asked to pay full UK tax for 4 years keeping in mind that tax has already been payed on the income in country where it was earned and the days they are adding are days of unemployment.Also a fine of 47.000 has been added as they insisted we are not being upfront about our assets. Please help
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am happy to wait but I have now had a letter saying they might declare me bankrupt hope to hear from u soon xx
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 1 year ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can assist you I need to know the country where the income was earned. Once I know this I will be in a position to give you advice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Keith the money was earned in Singapore Malaysia and Angola
Right, the UK has Double taxation Treaties with both Singapore, Malaysia, but not Angola. This means that the taxes deducted in S and M are available as tax credits against any UK liability on the same income stream, but with A income there is always a danger of being taxed twice. If you have not drawn HMRC's attention to the Double Taxaation position you should remind them of the Treaties and the entitlement to tax credits. HMRC's approach of imposing such fines for not being frank about assets is mere sabre rattling and you should appeal against such an extortionate levy. The asset position has no bearing on the matter unless assets are being disposed of which may give rise to a liability to Capital Gains tax (CGT).