TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I do not normally pay tax but this year I have taken a trivial

I do not normally pay tax but this year I have taken a trivial commutation and paid £4593.40p on total of £24463 what happened to this tax I have paid in future as of next year I will only have my basic state pension and not be due any tax .can I claim it back in future years
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. The taxable part of the pension payment is taxable in the tax year that you took it and won't affect future tax years. If you think you are entitled to a tax repayment, complete one of the forms here, here or here. The one you complete depends on your circumstances so read the notes at the bottom of the page to determine which one you need. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok tony I have spoken to you before I have been taxed on my current tax code and am sending off for a refund but I was thinking does this only apply to the one year
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
It will only apply to the year that you got the pension payment. It won't affect future tax years.