TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

We have a property in France and are French resident. my

We have a property in France and are French resident. my wife also owns an apartment in the UK in which our student son lives, since 2009. Presumably this would be called a "second home". We would like to transfer the property deeds into our son's name.If we sold the property tomorrow, then, I understand, under recent change in law, that there would be a capital gain event created on the gain since 2015 April.
If we do a deed transfer (into son's name), and don't sell the property, is this also treated as a CGT event, or is it just a simple, change at rhe Land Registry without HMRC involvement?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloYou are correct about the April change for CGT and nonresidents. Capital Gains Tax is a tax on the profit when you sell (or ‘dispose of’) something (an ‘asset’) that’s increased in value.Disposing of an asset includes selling it or even giving it away as a gift, or transferring it to someone else.This is not simply changing at registry but you would also need to report the disposition.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for that. if the deeds transfer is wife to husband, is there then a CGT issue?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
If you and your spouse or civil partner are living together, any transfer of an asset between you is treated as giving rise to neither a gain nor a loss to the person transferring it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which implies the possibility of a wife to husband deeds transferand then sale by husband (on same day or close to date), and the husband makes no capital gain. Or, better, transfer wife to husband to son, there being no CGT on the second transfer because of no value change. Do those work?