TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am taking care of my 88year old mothers finances and

Customer Question

Hello, I am taking care of my 88year old mothers finances and note that she is being taxed on the small monthly pensions that she receives. the tax is actually more than 50% of her pension. My question is, is their any way of claiming expenses for her carer that we have every day and the amount of money we have to pay out for care products for her.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm afraid that there are no tax reliefs for any of the types of expenses you mentioned. As your mother has a carer, you might look into claiming attendance allowance if it is not already being claimed as am addition to her state pension and pension credit. Look here and here for more information. As far as the tax deductions are concerned, you should call the tax office on the number here and ask them to review your mother's tax code or codes to make sure they are correct and, if not, to have them put right. I would imagine that the tax deduction is high because the state pension your mother receives is paid gross and so part of her personal allowance has been allocated to that. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi.I'm just following up to find out if my answer helped or if you have any further questions.