TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

This self employment has caused me a headache, last year

Customer Question

Hi, this self employment has caused me a headache, last year in Nov and Dec I had worked two days in merchandising jobs but that was counted as self employment. and now it's also the end of the tax year and I need to declare that, what do I need to do and what form do I need to fill in? Also what is unique tax reference number because I don't have that.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me if you earned any other money in the 2015/16 tax year, maybe as an employee? How much did you earn in the two days of self-employment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only earned: £221.78 from last year for self employment.
And this year I cannot remember what I earned but it was P.A.Y.E, also I definitely earned less than the taxable allowance.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. Leave this with me while I draft my answer. It will take a while so please bear with me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, No calls thank you.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Assuming you are referring to the tax year which started on 6 April 2015 and which ends on 5 April 2016 and your total income was less than the personal allowance of £10,600, then I don't see any point in your going to the trouble of registering as self-employed and having to complete a tax return. What I suggest you do is to wait until after the end of the tax year and then call the tax office on the number here, explain your situation to them and ask them to send you a form P810 to complete (it isn't available online). All you do then is enter your income details for 2015/16, sign the form, take a copy and posit it to HMRC. They will also be able to give you details of your PAYE income and any tax deducted over the phone so long as you can remember the name of your employer (otherwise they will confirm the income and tax by writing to you) so that you can include those on the P810 as well. Once HMRC have the P810, they will assess any tax due but if your total income was less than £10,600, you won't have any tax to pay. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, that's right, I refer the year 4/15-4/16. I think this makes no difference but I am currently a student and I also get grants as well and loans, I think those are not taxable income. Am I right?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Loans aren't taxable. Educational grants aren't taxable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I need to know that I did the self employment job in Nov/Dec 15 and I still haven't notified the tax office...my mum scared me by telling me that I might be too late to register and I might need to pay the penalty for it especially if I don't register my earning by the end of tax year.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
You need to tell HMRC by 6 October following the end of the tax year in which you became self-employed so in your case the date is 6 October 2016. If you have no tax to pay, you won't get a penalty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just clicked onto the link that you sent above and the page only mentioned P800 and not the P810 you mentioned above, are they both the same form?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
*the gov website only mentioned P800
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
A P800 is a tax calculation that HMRC issue to those taxpayers not in the self-assessment system. I don't see any point in you registering as self-employed as you don't appear to be self-employed any longer and you only earned £221.78 when you were and for just two days. If you were continuing to be self-employed I would advise you differently. For me, your earnings are what I would call "casual earnings".
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
As I said earlier, the P810 is not available to be downloaded. You have to ask HMRC for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Tony for your help, much appreciate.
Could I come back to you if I had a problem relating to today's subject please? I shouldn't think I need it but just in case.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
You certainly can. This question will remain open to you to ask follow up questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
No problem.