bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have used you before -in your answer please reply to my email as before -not sure why bu

I have used you before -in your answer please reply to my email as before -not sure why but email went to my colleague.
The query is a lady left UK intending to work in UAE for three years .He co in UK kept paying her with a NT code . Left Feb 2015.2014/15 tax return all finalised. Due to personal circumstance she came home 30.9.15 -and has stayed in UK. what happens re her tax for 2015/16.I assume her co should have amended her tax code since 1.10.15.But can she get a reduction in tax re period in UAE albeit not 12 months ? Thanks Blaine
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Unfortunately, her company cannot alter her tax code unless so advised by HMRC. Presumably that Department were aware of her departure overseas, hence the NT tax code. This would not be altered until HMRC were notified of her return on 30 September 2015. Unfortunately, her presence in the UK for the 15/16 tax year will make her liable for UK taxation on her world wide income. She will thus owe tax which was not deducted due to the NT code. Had she been out of the UK for the whole of 15/16 and come back in 16/17 then the split year principle would have applied for the 14/15 and the 16/17 tax years. You could ask HMRC if they will make an exception due to her personal circumstances and allow both the 14/15 and the 15/16 to be split years. If they do, of course her problems are solved. I am so sorry to have to rain on her parade. An application to HMRC for an exception to be made is the way ahead. I do hope that my reply has been of use.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A good reply Keith but why was this not sent to my email ?*****@******.***

I have searched a number of times thinking you were away ?

I was on the verge of asking for a refund?

What happened?

Blaine

Probably Blaine because this new Just Answer (JA) question did not specifically request a reply to your email address. Linking old and new questions can be quite a palaver on JA. I am so sorry this did not work out quite as you planned.
Thank you for your support.