Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am Teacher and UK passport holder and have worked

I am Teacher and UK passport holder and have worked outside of the UK in overseas International Schools for the previous 20 years.
I terminated my employment contract (a non-UK employer) in June 2015 and immediately arrived in the UK.
Except for a few weeks visting Europe, I have remained in the UK ever since and have not worked at all.
I have stayed in a relative's house and exceeded 184 days residence in the UK for the current UK tax-year.
I have lived off my savings currently located in an off-shore bank account. I draw my income from debit/credit cards. My living expenses has exceeded GBP 10,000 for the current tax year 2015/2016.
Except for < GBP 200.00 interest on my total assets for the current tax year, I have no other accruing financial assets.
I do not consider myself to be a permanent residence of the UK and will be leaving UK in mid-July 2016 for a permanent overseas position working for another non-UK employer.
Please tell me if I am obligated to pay UK income tax for the current tax year from the information stated above.
Kind regards, John
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi John Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on just Answer.Your only liability is the &pound;200 interest (which is income that rises since your arrival in the UK, and as you can have &pound;11,000 tax free you will have no UK liability. So you need not take any action with HMRC. ThanksSam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sam,Thanks for your returned information. I do have a query relating to your answer.
Please see the heading, ""If you work in the UK and abroad"" in the link from the UK government Inland Revenue site which I have enclosed here:
https://www.gov.uk/tax-foreign-income/non-domiciled-residentsMy confusion is that the site states that I must not have accrued more than GBP 100 in the current year, but you have stated in your previous answer that the limit is < GBP 200. Adminttedly, this is a tiny amount, but enough for HMRC to have included in their website.Thank you in advance, John
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi John Thanks for your response The &pound;200 relates to the amount of income you say you have earned in interest - and the fact that you have made less than the personal allowances for the yearThat is all my comment related to - and has noting to do with limits of income that have to be declared on self assessment Thanks Sam