Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Morning. A small private limited UK company has a director

Morning. A small private limited UK company has a director who resides abroad most of the time. From time to time he has to come over to the UK to attend Board Meetings or make finance decisions. The company is not at the level that full audit is required. The director has been told that he can claim all his travel expenses to come to the UK for such meetings and return costs as well as hotel expenses whilst he is here. Is this right please? We do not wish to fall foul of the rules which for UK people seem to regard this as home to work but the distance may of course change matters. Any advice would be appreciated.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I a, Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer. What other duties does he normally perform and do these all take place in his home country ? What do the articles of association state with respect to his working arrangements? Is there a contract of employment which details where and how work duties are performed? ThanksSam
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

General management undertaken in country of residence using internet and email plus some phone. Mem and Arts old school no reference to what he should do. Contract open. He is a 50% shareholder along with his wife other 50% so between them they share the managing duties and issue instructions to the UK based staff.

Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your response Although you do not advsie whether there is a contract - clearly in the absence of one, and based on what you go on to advsie that his normal workplace is his country of residence - and therefore yes he can claim travel expenses and have these paid tax free for his travel and his hotel fees. Let me know if I can be of any furtehr assistance Thanks Sam