TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have been living and working in Dubai since January 2012.

I have been living and working in Dubai since January 2012. I was made redundant by the company here in October last year. As I cannot find a job here now, I am having to return to UK on 23rd March. My question is will I have to pay UK tax on my saved earnings here in Dubai when I close my account and transfer them to my UK bank account?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Assuming that you have been treated as non-UK resident since you left the UK in 2012, then you won't have to pay UK tax on your saved earnings when you return to the UK and repatriate the money. Take a look here for a flowchart which should help you work out whether you have maintained your non-UK residency status from 6 April 2013. Prior to 6 April 2013, so log as you averaged less than 91 days in the UK per tax year from the date in January 2012 you left the UK to 5 April 2013, you will be treated as non-UK resident. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's good news, thanks. I kind of guessed that was the case but just wanted to be sure before I transferred my savings.