bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am an employed solicitor. My hours have been reduced from

I am an employed solicitor. My hours have been reduced from 5 days a week to 3 days a week. My employers have said that if there are court hearings out of my 3 days a week they would ask me to cover these and i could if i wanted and I would be paid 75% of the fee they receive for the court work. I would only have to to do the court hearing - i would not have to come into the office. Otherwise they would pay a self employed barrister or self employed solicitor advocate to do the court hearings.

Can i do these hearings, beyond my 3 day week, as self employed?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Many people who are employees run separate businesses as self employed in parallel. There is thus no reason why you should not treat these tasks outside your normal employment as self employed. You will have to register with HMRC for self employment and render Annual Self Assessment Tax Returns also. I would not be over concerned with the telephonic response you received from HMRC. The call centre operatives advise from a script which naturally gives the opinion HMRC would like to be expressed, but not the actual reality! I do hope that I have been able to resolve your conundrum.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you. You did understand that the court hearings i would be doing for my firm on day 4 and 5 (i.e. outside my 3 days per week) would be for my firm that employs me. Also may be one court hearing - say 4 day hearing - 3 days as employee and 1 day as self employed advocate - is that ok?
I am of the opinion 'Yes.' For the three days you would normally be employed then your remuneration would come through PAYE whilst the 4th would be self employed. Your employer may jib at this and not be inclined to allow that however and book the last item as employment. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Thank you for your support.