Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

Sorry I clicked the wrong tab before.If someone is a sole

Customer Question

Sorry I clicked the wrong tab before.
If someone is a sole trader and also has a limited company and both businesses roughly do the same type of work. If one is vat registered, should the other be vat registered.
Also if a person is a director of two limited companies and one is vat registered, is the businesses stand alone or is the person vat registered or are the businesses completely separate.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts here on Just Answer. Yes both should be registered as you are in essence having just one trade that you operate the same type of business from. With the 2 x limited companies, if again both provide the same trade then both should be registered - see info here from HMRC VAT and artificially separating business https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/statement-of-practice-4-1983/statement-of-practice-4-1983#what-hmrc-will-consider-to-be-artificial-separation Specifically same tarde same use of working space or tools etc same clients etc would all constitute issues with HMRC VAT Let me know if I can assist further Thanks Sam
Expert:  Sam replied 1 year ago.
HI Did you have any follow up questions, as your post has appeared as an open question but there is nothing further added after my response Thanks Sam